The Whittler, a cast iron mechanical pencil sharpener, was manufactured ca.1910 by the Peerless Whittler Company of New York, New York. Other than it's brand and model name/number, other identifying insignia includes the term "Patent Applied For." Later examples were produced by the Burke Mfg. Co. of Syracuse, New York and the W.M. Welch Mfg. Co. of Chicago, Illinois. The No.A had a two-blade sharpening system while the No.B had three.