Inventing the National Typewriter officially commenced in 1885 when its first patent was issued to Franz X. Wagner. Then in 1889 Henry H. Unz was issued a supplemental patent which completed the machine. The National was produced in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by the National Typewriter Company. It featured a curved, three-row keyboard and a front-upstrike typebar arrangement. Since it was a blindwriter the carriage flipped upwards to allow the typist to inspect his work.